Re: gnus makes emacs lose response

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: gnus makes emacs lose response
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 06:08:28 -0400

    You say that Emacs _must_ hang until you decide to put the WiFi card
    back in or you hit C-g to completely terminate the fetching of new
    articles and messages (from any server)?

Yes, I think so.  It would be a screw if it canceled a long operation
and made me start from the beginning, just because I did not remove
and reinsert the card fast enough to beat the timeout.  What if it took
me 20 seconds to notice that the wireless connection was no longer actually
transferring any data?  That has happened.

    Why can't Gnus decide that "hey I've waited 15 seconds for a response,
    so let's stop this nonsense and try again"?

To cancel the operation and try again from the beginning is ok,
provided that the operation is always fast when it does work.

Basically, what I don't want it to do is this: you have been
transferring for 20 minutes, and then there's a problem, and it starts
over, and you have to redo that first 20 minutes' worth.