RE: Graphical Kill node in Emacs manual

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Graphical Kill node in Emacs manual
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:28:36 -0700

This is very helpful. Thanks.

I'm not sure what this should mean for the Emacs doc, if anything.

Regarding the term "clipboard", here is another data point:

Its meaning as a buffer or other storage area (essentially, a variable - the
"reuse area" you mention), or as a set of these, predates MS Windows. It has
been used that way in applications such as Framemaker, for instance, since
long before MS Windows was born.

Though the kill ring has additional properties, it seems very close to the
notion of clipboard in both MS Windows and in applications such as
Framemaker (on whatever platform).

It sounds, IIUC, as if it is the X Window use of the term that is the most
exceptional (and most complex). When Emacs interfaces with X-Window, this
also complicates the explanation of the Emac kill ring, but otherwise, I'd
think that the explanation of the kill ring would be straightforward.

Do I understand this correctly? In most uses of the term "clipboard", it is
simply a memory location (or set of such), but in X Window, it is a dynamic
request to an app, which can return anything it wants. (And, there are other
such selections: primary, secondary...)

If this is the case, why not write the Emacs doc to refer to the term
"clipboard" in the widely understood sense, except when specifically
speaking about X Window (and point out this shift in terminology)? I think
it would help users, who are used to this simple notion of clipboard, to
mention that the kill ring is like a clipboard.

Do you, Davis, who seem to understand this well, think the doc could be made
clearer in this area? If so, could you suggest something?

Thanks again for the info. - Drew

    > Perhaps I misspoke - I'm unclear on when the X clipboard is used to
    > copy+paste between applications (the subject of this node)
    > and when it is not used.
    > [...]
    > Yes, if the Clipboard section helps understand the stuff on inter-app
    > yanking, then an xref would help. As I say, I myself am not
    > clear when the Emacs (X) clipboard is actually used. I can copy
    > and paste between apps, but I have no idea if I'm using the X
    > clipboard (I'm using MS Windows).

    Just so everyone is up-to-date:
    Any application can obviously store user data and provide it for reuse.
    Call this the "reuse area".  Emacs calls it the kill ring.  Windowing
    environments often provide a common communication mechanism for
    text (and sometimes other objects) to be transferred between windows
    (and even between processes).

    On Windows, this is implemented with a memory buffer, called the Windows
    clipboard (or just "the clipboard").  Any application can write or read
    this as it wishes; typically the writing is associated with
    "Cut" (Emacs: kill) or "Copy" actions, and the reading with "Paste"
    actions (called yanking in Emacs).

    On X, this concept is implemented somewhat differently.  There are a set
    of tokens, called "selections" -- two of which are labelled
    "primary" and
    "clipboard" -- that a process may possess.  Note that these are not
    buffers and do not hold data.  Instead, when a process decides that the
    user has copied something, it simply requests the token.  When another
    process wants to use the copied data, it asks the X server for the text
    associated with the token, and the X server in turn asks the owning
    process.  That process can reply with whatever data it wants --
    typically
    "what the user copied", but it can even vary from request to request
    without user action if the process chooses -- and that data is
    passed by X
    to the requester.  Note that this has the unfortunate side effect that
    when a process dies, its "clipboard data", if any, is lost.

    Further confusion on X: there are also buffers (like Windows has) called
    "cut buffers".  However, these are deprecated (or at least nearly so)
    because they are inflexible, may have size limitations, and require data
    communication between a client and the server whenever something is
    copied, whether or not it is ever used.   (Remember that in X the client
    and server may easily be on different continents.)

    Yet more X confusion: on Mac under X, there is the Aqua clipboard (which
    as far as I know is much like the Windows one) and then the complete set
    of X mechanisms; the issue of synchronization between these two
    environments is separate and typically outside of Emacs' control.

    Finally, there is the question of whether and how processes synchronize
    their reuse areas with the system buffers or tokens.  On
    Windows, this is
    often a non-issue -- the only standard mechanism is a buffer, and the
    process can write to it and forget that it even did so.  On X, it varies
    between programs because (A) there are multiple tokens and
    buffers and (B)
    using selections implies that the process must remember the text for an
    indeterminate length of time -- possibly even after the text is
    no longer
    otherwise "active" in the application.  For instance, a user copies some
    text in a terminal program, but then executes a verbose command therein
    which scrolls the copied text out of the scrollback.  Some programs will
    forget the text (and hopefully inform the X server that they no longer
    have anything to provide), while others will make a separate copy of the
    text then or at the time of the copy command and keep it around until
    something else is copied (whether in that application or another).

    Emacs has its own complications because it wants its reuse area
    to be more
    powerful than either of these standard clipboard mechanisms.  Emacs'
    policy is to, after every kill, copy it to the Windows
    clipboard or store
    it to an X cut buffer (if it's small) and advertise it as one or both of
    the "primary" and "clipboard" X selections.  When text is to be yanked,
    Emacs consults the Windows clipboard and/or the various X resources and
    uses text from them if it's not text that Emacs itself put there.  If it
    does so, that text is copied onto the kill ring as well as yanked.
    Otherwise, the kill ring (and the current position within it) is used as
    usual.  There are a few options in term/x-win.el and w32-fns.el that
    control some of the specifics of this, and the whole operation can be
    disabled or rewritten via the `interprogram-cut-function' and
    `interprogram-paste-function' variables.

    I hope this helps people understand the scenarios involved with killing
    and yanking a bit better.  As a final note, a couple of
    problems that have been observed in this area:
    1. Keyboard macros that use the kill ring will also end up using the
    system transfer mechanisms.  This can be a bad thing if the user was
    hoping to use them while letting a macro run "in the background".
    2. Emacs' rules for picking good X selections to use and its
    management of
    its own selections weren't perfect the last time I checked, but
    it's hard
    to come up with an optimum set.  There may yet be real bugs, though.

    Davis