Re: Help buffer link on name of customizable thing (at start of buffer)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Help buffer link on name of customizable thing (at start of buffer)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 23:08:43 -0400

    In buffer *Help*, for help on a thing that is customizable, put the same
    link on the name of the customizable thing (e.g. user variable or face), at
    the beginning of the *Help* buffer, that is currently put on the word
    "customize" at the bottom of the buffer.

    Advantage: When you use, say, `C-v some-option', you can hit RET
    immediately, to customize the thing, since the cursor is at `point-min' by
    default. This is quicker than using, e.g., `M-x customize-option': instead
    of `M-x customize-option RET foo RET', just use `C-h v foo RET RET'.

I see no harm in it.  Does anyone else object?

    Also, the same form (i.e., the same *Help* buffer layout) should be used for
    faces and user options. This is not the case now. Currently, `describe-face'
    puts a "(customize this face)" link right after the face name, on the first
    *Help* buffer line, whereas `describe-variable' puts a "You can customize
    this variable" link at the bottom of the buffer, just before the [back]
    button. The latter form is preferable, IMO.

I did describe-face that way for a reason.  The face-spec data is
usually big enough that it won't fit on the screen.  If we put "You
can customize this face" at the end, the user would not initially see
it.  For describe-variable, that CAN happen, but it is rare.

There is no problem in principle with putting at the top
for variables, just as it is for faces.