Re: Problem building emacs-lisp-intro.dvi.

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Problem building emacs-lisp-intro.dvi.
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:50:50 +0000 (UTC)

    Building lispintro/emacs-lisp-intro.dvi fails for me.

Me, too.  The texinfo.tex included with the Emacs CVS, version 2003-12-30.09,
failed.  (This is the version Lute Kamstra first used also.)

However, as Lute said,

    The funny thing is that TeX tries to make a pdf file.  When I
    delete lispintro/texinfo.tex, the problem goes away ...

I suspect the problem is that the version of texinfo.tex that was
included with the Emacs CVS, version 2003-12-30.09, tested only for
\pdfoutput which the new versions of TeX have.  More recent
texinfo.tex include more tests.

I committed to the Emacs CVS version 2006-02-13.16 of texinfo.tex

Please see whether you have any problems not only in the build
(neither Lute nor I had them) but also in the content.  (A brief look
indicated that the content was the same as before, and presumably OK,
but someone else might check ...)

This is the version of texinfo.tex installed by my Debian testing
distribution and is the same version to which Lute Kamstra switched.

Also, I built the DVI without reported error using most recent version
I have in Texinfo 4.8, which is version 2006-05-08.10.  (I did not
commit that version to CVS.)

Looking at the diff between the 2003 version that was included in the
Emacs CVS and the version included in /usr/share/texmf/tex/texinfo/
which I have just committed to CVS, I find the the 2003 version only
tests for \pdfoutput.  The newer versions say

    % when pdftex is run in dvi mode, \pdfoutput is defined (so \pdfoutput=1
    % can be set).  So we test for \relax and 0 as well as \undefined,
    % borrowed from ifpdf.sty.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8