how to control isearch for invisible text

From: Drew Adams
Subject: how to control isearch for invisible text
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 01:30:18 -0700

It seems like there should be some way to control whether isearch matches
text that is invisible or ignores it. I couldn't find anything on this in
either the Emacs manual or the Elisp manual. Is there no such option?

I came across `isearch-open-invisible-temporary' in the Elisp manual, but I
coudn't tell if that was related. Its explanation speaks of "overlays", even
though the rest of the same Info node speaks of text properties (?). Plus,
it seems to be a property of the overlay itself, rather than an option for
how isearch should treat invisible text generally.

If there is no option to control isearch's sensitivity to invisible text,
then how about adding one? And adding an isearch keymap binding for toggling
the option while searching. It would be a plus if the same option could act
similarly for query-replace and occur. For query-replace, perhaps the same
toggle binding could be used.

Please let me know if something like this is already available. In that
case, it probably needs better doc (e.g. Emacs manual).