address@hidden: Re: two related edebug problems]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: Re: two related edebug problems]
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 00:58:43 -0400

Would someone please debug this (then ack)?  I don't have time to do
it.

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:26:32 -0400
From: "Ken Manheimer" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Re: two related edebug problems
Cc: address@hidden

i can reproduce this traceback easily, but for a somewhat extreme
action.  it happens any time i try to step into builtin, ie C coded,
functions.  that's whether or not emacs is started -Q.  (i thought i
saw emacs loading up C mode, as if it was going to step through the C
level code - is it now able to do that?)

i can't say whether or not i was seeing it when trying to step into
lisp-level functions, though i thought i was when the first problem i
described was happening.

i am able to reliably reproduce the first problem (always single
stepping).  i open a new emacs session with emacs -Q, find the
standard `newline' function (in simple.el - i just use
`find-function'), edebug-defun it, then do a newline in the scratch
buffer.  if i just use "f" to step through, it almost immediately goes
into the always-single-step mode - after `(barf-if-buffer-read-only)'.
 "c", "o", "f", "h", all work like hitting the space bar.

this is with a cvs HEAD emacs cvs upped and compiled in the last 1/2
hour.  (i did make clean / configure / make / make install.  this
original checkout was compiled once before, because i wanted to see
whether these problems might be in some state not cleaned by
distclean.)

On 8/8/06, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>       (edebug-after 0 0 {)
>       (lambda nil (edebug-after 0 0 {))()
>       edebug-enter(edebug-anon2 nil (lambda nil (edebug-after 0 0 {)))
>       edebug-enter(edebug-anon2 nil (lambda nil (edebug-after 0 0 {)))
>       eval((edebug-enter (quote edebug-anon2) nil (function (lambda nil
> ...))))
>       eval-expression((edebug-enter (quote edebug-anon2) nil (function
>     (lambda nil ...))))
>
> I suggest you examine that function without abbreviation
> so we can see if it uses the variable {.
>
> What function is it?  Does it have a name?
> What does its source code look like?

- --
ken
address@hidden