RE: address@hidden: Customize value menu doesn't recognizemouse-2]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: address@hidden: Customize value menu doesn't recognizemouse-2]
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:33:41 -0700

    > From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
    >
    > On GNU/Linux, probably with Lucid menus, I can select from
    > the menu using any of the three mouse buttons.
    >
    >      (The latter part happens only on MS-Windows.)
    >
    > It sounds like a bug in the way menus work in Emacs on Windows.

    Actually, the code in w32menu.c is written to explicitly ignore clicks
    on any button but mouse-1 as long as a menu is open.  This was done to
    solve a much more annoying bug on Windows, whereby, if you click
    mouse-2 while browsing a menu, Emacs would yank killed text after the
    menu pops down.

    > Please leave things alone.

    Done.

What Richard described for the other platforms is exactly the behavior I
requested when I filed this bug. It sounds to me like the fix for the more
annoying bug (which I also reported, I believe) was not the right fix.
Wouldn't the right fix have been to make mouse-2 select a menu item, just
like on GNU/Linux? That would take care of both bugs, and bring Windows into
line with the other platforms.

IOW, "Please leave things alone" ... "Done" sounds like a quick cop-out, to
me.

I can't speak to hard it might be to fix this properly, so that Windows will
DTRT, like GNU/Linux, but I can speak to what TRT would be for the user:
exactly what Richard described.