Re: problem with system_eol_type

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: problem with system_eol_type
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:16:47 -0400

    Previously, when a coding system without explicit eol-type
    (e.g. iso-latin-1) was specified for encoding, Unix-like
    eol-type is selected on any platform.

    The change I made was to use an eol-type set to
    system_eol_type (CRLF on Windows, LF otherwise) in such a
    case.  To me, that change was just a bug fix.

This is clearly The Right Thing, at the user level.

    But, the bug-reports say that there are many codes that
    assumes the previous behaviour, and some of them now don't
    work well on Windows.

Thus, what's good at the UI level is not good at the API level.
Programs would usually like to get uniform results.

I see two possible approaches to this:

1. Fix those programs to specify `-unix'.  That way, they should get
LF eol behavior in all Emacs versions on all systems.

2. Take out your old change, and implement something at the UI level,
perhaps in a function that reads a coding system name.

#1 is clearly easier.  Is there any strong argument against it?

Is there a way