Re: sit-for

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: sit-for
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 00:36:43 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> The other possibility is some kind of bad timer interaction, in which
> a timer is called during sit-for, but that timer itself contains a
> sit-for, so each sit-for never returns.  But that kind of bug would
> probably have affected the old sit-for implementation too, so this
> seems unlikely.

I don't know if it is related, but from time to time, the cursor
disappears completely (with blinking cursor).  I have not been able to
reproduce this in any reliable way.  This is an old bug, discussed on
the list 1-2 years ago. It still happens with the new sit-for ...

Since wait_read_process_output now has an end_time rather than a
duration, it seems possible to make a check on reentry to
wait_read_process_output whether an "outer" call has an end_time
BEFORE the end_time of the current call ... and do something sensible,
e.g.  modify the current end_time to the same as the outer end_time.

In that way, nested sit-for calls would never make emacs wait longer
than "allowed" by an outer sit-for call.