Re: problems on inline input on Mac

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: problems on inline input on Mac
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 12:27:39 +0900

>> They are inherited from those just after the (empty) overlay.  You
>> cannot tell whether the user wants to inherit them from those
>> before or after it.

> Well, if you assume that the character will be (in the end) inserted
> at point, then yes you can, using front-sticky and such kind of
> information.

Yes, unless further fontification is done after insertion.

Because I think the inheritance of face for overlay strings is a task
of face merging in the redisplay code, I'm not doing anything special
about it in the TSM support code.  The redisplay code just behaves
like this (i.e., inherit the face just after one marker of the
overlay).

One idea would be to change the behavior by which property we use,
before-string or after-string.  If we regard an overlay as a modifier
for an interval, it would be natural for before-string (after-string)
to respect the face that is attached to the first (last, respectively)
character of the interval.  Of course, some consideration is needed
for special cases such as empty intervals, and it might not be a good
time to make such a change.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden