Re: sit-for

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: sit-for
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:48:42 -0400

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Since we have the new sit-for implementation, I have a lot of times
> when Emacs just pauses in busy waiting for input.  This happens
> spontaneously.  One situation where it happens frequently is when
> reading news with gnus.

I haven't seen this problem in my usage of gnus.  It would be helpful
if you could be more specific: does the problem happen with the
2006-07-26 change to `read-event'?  If so, did it start to happen at
that time, or did it already happen after the Lisp-level `sit-for' was
implemented?

If it only started after the `read-event' change, one possibility is
that read_char is getting stuck somewhere before we get to the point
where we check if the timeout has elapsed.

> This is really a nuisance.  The change to sit-for is a fundamental
> change to some core mechanism of Emacs, and it is currently seemingly
> breaking quite a few things, apart from causing strange effects.

That's the story of the Emacs 22 feature freeze.