Re: Building Emacs overflowed pure space

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Building Emacs overflowed pure space
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:56:04 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I tried the exact the same thing (using the naive version), but the
>>> dumped emacs crashed immediately after loadup, thinking that "nil"
>>> was a filename...  So I didn't think it was safe to do this.
>
>>     I'm not sure if this should be counted as an objection.
>
>> The code he wrote must have a bug in it.  If your code works, I
>> guess it does not have a similar bug.
>
> I installed the patch.  It works as far as I tested on multiple
> platforms (though that doesn't prove that the prerequisite for sharing
> is completely satisfied by the current code, of course).

Actually, I don't see how we can satisfy the prerequisite: a user
might always choose to use `aset' on an existing string.  Of course,
this objection would hold equally for sharing equal strings, not just
strings with a common suffix.

Am I overlooking something?  Or do we have some mechanism in place
against tampering with strings in pure space?  I just tried messing up
`search-whitespace-regexp' with `aset', and was successful.

If we merge strings in pure space, should we not disallow modifying
them?

Everything else seems like a recipe for disaster.