Re: 'cal 9 1752' and emacs calendar disagree

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: 'cal 9 1752' and emacs calendar disagree
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 11:32:50 -0400

      What cal gives is
    the first part of the month on Julian calendar and the latter part on the
    Gregorian--that is nonsense.

It is not be quite nonsense, if it reflects the actual calendar used
in England and its colonies at the time.  However, England and its
colonies were not the whole world, so it doesn't make sense for a
calendar program to display in a way that is right for them and wrong
for everywhere else.  (I would guess this was originally done because
Unix was written in the US, which was formerly part of England's
colonies.)

It would be nice if Emacs could display pure Julian calendar for all
dates, as an option.

And we could then imagine, as further options, to display the calendar
as it was used in England, or some other place, including whatever
transition period there was in that place.