RE: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:01:16 -0700

    > To me, structural navigation is not the goal; it is a means
    > to achieve the
    > goal, which is getting info from a manual (whether quick look-up or
    > front-to-back reading).

    Reading a manual in order is one paradigm of learning a package.  So
    we cannot dispose of the structural navigation keys.

No. The proper conclusion is that we cannot dispose of *structural
navigation*. This does not necessarily have anything to do with *keys*.

Anyway, no one proposed to dispose of either structural navigation or
structural-navigation keys. The proposal was to *postpone* (not dispose of)
*teaching* about structural-navigation *keys*. Each of those 3 qualifiers is
important.

And then, only the keys that have obvious, visible alternatives would be
taught later. I specifically argued for teaching SPC and DEL up front. You
can read an entire manual, in order, from front to back, using just SPC.

I didn't paint things in black & white terms, and it's not honest to
characterize my proposal that way.