Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:21:32 +0100

Afternoon!

On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 10:33:42AM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:

Something I feel shouldn't be left to pass uncommented:

> The most important functions are `i', `s', `g', `l', SPC, DEL, and
> perhaps `T' and `L' (and maybe even `M-n'). They are certainly *NOT*
> `n', `p', `u', `d', and `m'.

In my own Info use, I use:

`u' and `l', `TAB' and `CR' (on links) all the time;
<page up>, <page down> also all the time;

`n' and `m' quite often, `p' a little less so.
`s', `t' and `d' every now and then.
`g' I only really use for going to an index or navigating
   "my own" info file (which I know like the back of my hand).
`[' and `]' practically never.
`i', `SPC', `DEL', `b', `q' I can't remember ever using (maybe I should
   read the tutorial ;-).

I frequently browse through the Emacs manual by following a link, then
using `u' once or twice "to find out where I am" followed by `l' to get
back to that link.

I think everybody has their own pattern for using these commands, and it
is not at all certain that `n', `p', `u', `d', and `m' are secondary in
importance.

> I think that must be our basic disagreement: what are the most
> important Info functions and features to teach? Do we need to start by
> teaching `n', `p', `u', `d', and `m'?

Disregarding `m', I think that's almost the same question as "do we wish
to teach that (most?) manuals are hierarchically structured?".

--
Alan.