Re: Revamping sit-for

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Revamping sit-for
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 20:24:17 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> For better or worse, I've checked in the new sit-for that's written in
> Emacs Lisp.  Probably a "make bootstrap" will be necessary.
>
> Once the dust settles, I'll go through the Lisp tree replacing
> (sit-for 0) calls with (redisplay).

As part of this change, there is a new built-in function `redisplay'
that is equivalent to the old (sit-for 0).  Also, (thanks Kim!)
calling `redisplay' with the optional argument FORCE forces redisplay.

It seems to me that the following hack, which would have been new to
Emacs 22:

  *** `sit-for' called with a negative SECONDS value now forces an
  immediate redisplay even if input is pending.

is now unnecessary; (sit-for -1) will do exactly the same thing as
(redisplay t) and the latter is much clearer

If there are no objections, I'll remove the negative-sit-for behavior,
and add a note about `redisplay' to NEWS.