RE: Help cross reference to source file

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Help cross reference to source file
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:48:55 -0700

    >     Even if help can't take me to the right place in the source file,
    >     I think it should open the file - and provide the error message,
    >     inviting me to search for it in the file.

    > Does this give behavior you like?
    > +               (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))

    This burps if the selected window is a minibuffer or dedicated window.
    I think we should mark switch-to-buffer as "not for use from
    elisp" (like insert-buffer and others).

I sympathize with (and share) the problem, but I disagree that
switch-to-buffer shouldn't be used from Lisp (unless a similar functionality
is made available in another function).

The real problem is general: make Emacs play well with dedicated windows and
with non-nil pop-up-frames.

In this case, the code probably needs to explicitly deal with the problem
you raise, working around it. In the future, perhaps such code to side-step
this kind of problem could be made generally available, as part of a
different function that does
`careful-switch-to-buffer-taking-into-account-corner-cases'.