Re: Revamping sit-for [Was: Lingering input pending with motif menu bar]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Revamping sit-for [Was: Lingering input pending with motif menu bar]
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 14:10:30 +0200

>     Can you give a _precise_ description of what behaviour of the old sit-for
>     is "lost" in the new sit-for.
>
> I don't have one, because that behavior was never designed.  It was a
> bug.  It arose in the 90s as an unintended consequence of the
> existence of events (I think even X events) that the user would never
> see.
>
> I think the behavior is that internal events can appear in the queue
> and cause sit-for to return, but then no input is really available.
>
> Chances are that this behavior causes nothing but bugs, and that all
> callers will benefit from the correction of it.  However, I think we
> ought to check the callers, so as to make sure we don't introduce any
> new bugs by this change.

It would be useful to know exactly what events will no longer make
sit-for return -- then we could grep for those events and see if any
lisp code uses sit-for to wait for one of those events.

That would be a much more directed effort than trying to understand
each of the 534 calls to sit-for.

BTW, will "help-echo" events still make the new sit-for return?

Chong, could you post a genuine patch with your changes.
Thanks.