Re: What is normal these days (display.texi)?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What is normal these days (display.texi)?
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:52:24 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>     >     ! precisely at the right margin, not at a word boundary.
>     >     ! @xref{Filling}, @ref{Longlines,, Long Lines Mode, emacs,
>     >     ! The GNU Emacs Manual}.
>     >
>     > That doesn't seem like proper Texinfo usage; is it?
>
>     What's wrong with it?
>
> @ref is for the end of a sentence.

This is the end of a sentence.

>     As far as I can see, it is following the specs to the letter, and
>     it works.
>
> No, it is not following the documentation.
>
>     @xref{Filling, , ,emacs, The GNU Emacs Manual}, @ref{Longlines,,
>     Long Lines Mode, emacs, The GNU Emacs Manual}.
>
> produces
>
>     *Note Filling: (emacs)Filling, *Note Long Lines Mode:
>     (emacs)Longlines.
>
> in Info

Not here.  Here it produces:

   Note that continuation is different from filling; continuation
happens on the screen only, not in the buffer contents, and it breaks a
line precisely at the right margin, not at a word boundary.  *Note
Filling::, *Note Long Lines Mode: (emacs)Longlines.

(with some of the above invisible, like the "::" and the "Longlines".

> (and a fairly similar output for DVI).
>
> You need an `and see' before the @ref, since it is without a capital
> `S' and in the latter part of a sentence.

But it comes with its own "see", so adding one would make it into
"see see Long Lines Mode".

And the dvi actually looks something like
See section filling, page xxx, section "Long lines" ...

So one would probably just want to add "and", like Eli said.

> Plus, you need to complete the first part of the sentence.
> For example:
>
>     @xref{Filling, , ,emacs, The GNU Emacs Manual}, for more
>     information; and also see @ref{Longlines,, Long Lines Mode, emacs,
>     The GNU Emacs Manual}.
>
> (without the indentation of this example)
>
> The documentation says:
>
>     (texinfo)ref
>
>     address@hidden' is nearly the same as address@hidden' except that it does
> not
>     generate a `See' in the printed output, just the reference itself.
>     This makes it useful as the last part of a sentence.

Well, it _does_ add "see" in Emacs' builtin info reader, and I use it
as the last part of a sentence.

I think adding "and" should do the trick here.