Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:32:24 -0400

     - A face is a variable, whose value can change. Its name, if it
       describes the appearance, might lie (a face named `blue' might
       be red).

The "Blue" menu item could be set up to specify red, too.

The crucial point is that that would be an anomalous reprogramming of
Emacs.  Likewise, if a face "blue" specifies red, that is also an
anomalous reprogramming of Emacs.

For simplicity, we can ignore those anomalous possibilities when
designing features like this one.  We can assume that the command
whose name indicates blue really does as its name implies.

    It is a happenstance in the sense that the name happens to reflect the
    appearance - until someone changes that association. If the face name were
    Foo or Blue, or if the font family of that face were changed to helvetica,
    then it would not be such a happy happenstance.

Emacs gives you enough rope to mess up a lot of things.  We don't need
to bulletproof these features against such messes.  We just say "So
don't do that, then."

    Much more importantly, it is a happenstance for the user. The user is
    interested in the appearance, not in the fact that it is a face.

I agree, but that point seems to cut equally well in all directions.

    You stated, "For 'fixed pitch', I think that can only be
    considered as a face."

You presented a choice of face or face attribute, and I said it
can't be considered a face attribute.

        There is no such "font property".  Some fonts are fixed pitch, and
        some are not.

    Some fonts are bold and some are not, also.

Yes, but there is a face attribute for boldness.
There isn't a face attribute for fixed-pitch-ness.