Re: `decode-coding-string' question

From: Paul Pogonyshev
Subject: Re: `decode-coding-string' question
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 18:31:18 +0300

Kenichi Handa wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>, Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Say I have a string with various text properties set.  If I then
> > apply `decode-coding-string' to it, all the properties are lost.
> > Is there a way to transfer properties from ``character beginning''
> > (i.e. first character of a number being combined during decoding)
> > to the decoded character?
>
> In the current implementation, it's impossible.  But, first
> of all, why do you have text properties on unibyte string?
> I think all text processing should be done after the string
> is decoded.

Bad.  OK, here is my task: I have a C string in the sources, possibly
containing encoded characters, like

        "foo bla \xc2\xa9",

the last thing being the UTF-8 copyright characters.  I want to
decode the string (can do that) _and_ know where particular
characters begin. Currently I set text property `point' on character
beginnings, but `decode-coding-string' eats them :(  Can anyone see a
different solution, maybe ugly if nothing else?  (Except that custom
implementation of `decode-coding-string' doesn't count as a solution
;)

Paul