Re: text.texi - next-single-property-change

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: text.texi - next-single-property-change
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:17:50 +0200

Andreas Roehler <address@hidden> writes:

> Reading the function name, the user may assume, that
> the number of changed properties at point is at stake,
> i.e. he might assume a return point where a single
> property changes.
>
> The doc string clarifies that this is not the point:
>
> "Return the position of next property change for a specific property."
>
> To avoid misunderstandings I suggest to consider a
> different name, expressing more properly the function.

The way to avoid misunderstandings is to read the doc string.

> Thought at
>
> next-specified-property-change
> next-selected-property-change
> next-indicated-property-change
> next-named-property-change
>
> even
>
> next-singled-out-property-change
>
> Maybe an alias could be delivered.
>
> `previous-single-property-change' affected respectively.

I don't see any improvement here that would be worth changing an
established idiom.  It could at best be argued that
next-property-change should have taken a "property" argument right
away, which would be nil for any property.

But I don't see that changing that is useful right now.