address@hidden: First CVS command generates empty buffer]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: address@hidden: First CVS command generates empty buffer]
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 19:21:08 -0400

Would someone please DTRT and ack?

From: "Marshall, Simon" <address@hidden>
To: "'Emacs Pretest Bug (address@hidden)'"
        <address@hidden>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 11:11:51 +0100
Subject: First CVS command generates empty buffer

I get this every time with a working copy of a file from a local CVS
repository, but not with an emacs file from the savannah repository.  My cvs
is 1.11.5.

CVSROOT=$PWD/cvs        # create a local CVS repository if you don't have
one
cvs init
mkdir foo
touch foo/bar
cd foo
cvs import -msnafu foo bar fubar
cd ..
cvs checkout -d bar foo
.../src/emacs -Q
C-x C-f bar/bar # for me, any file under a local CVS repository

At this point, *Messages* contains:

For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Note: file is write protected

Now do C-x v l, and the window splits with bar at the top and a window
showing *vc-change-log* at the bottom.  BUG: The *vc-change-log* buffer is
empty (and its window is 3 lines high).

At this point, *Messages* contains:

For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Note: file is write protected
Running cvs in the background...

Interestingly, if I C-x o C-x v l, then *vc-change-log* is correctly
generated (though its window is still 3 lines high).  *Messages* now
contains:

For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Note: file is write protected
Running cvs in the background...
Running cvs in the background... done

Note this time I get a " done".

Note also that this is not specific to C-x v l.  Checkin a change to bar,
then:

.../src/emacs -Q bar/bar
C-u C-x v = RET RET RET         # diff between previous 2 revisions

I get a 3 line high *vc-diff* window where the buffer contains "No
differences found."  Repeating the above command in bar will generate the
correct diff, and *Messages* gets a message with " done" as above.

In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.5 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, X toolkit)
 of 2006-07-03 on perth
X server distributor `Hummingbird Ltd.', version 11.0.100015
configured using `configure 'CFLAGS=-g''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_GB.ISO8859-1
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_GB.ISO8859-1