Re: Suggestion for C-h f, describe-function

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion for C-h f, describe-function
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 11:15:35 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> My simple solution is: If you intend to change Lisp files, run emacs
>>> out of the source tree.  Then lisp hyperlinks take you to the right
>>> files.
>>
>> I can't run Emacs "out of the source tree" of both Emacs and AUCTeX.
>
> So you cannot put the AUCTeX source directory into load-path.  Why?

Because it is the _source_ directory.  I am doing edits, changes,
half-assed things.  The directory is in a _working_ state every few
weeks at best, and only at _that_ point of time could it make sense to
run "make install" or alternatively run from the source directory (but
the source directory also happens to be scattered among several
places, and it also contains .el-files not intended for installation,
like files used for creating autoload files and similar).  In the mean
time, I still need to edit LaTeX files.  I can't have broken copies of
AUCTeX in my load-path for that.  But _when_ I follow AUCTeX
functions' hyperref docs, I want to get them in the source, even if
they may be off a few lines (like it happens with using the C source
code hyperlinks).