Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: facemenu-unlisted-faces
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 18:29:59 -0400

    The faces I see in my long-running Emacs session, which were "let
    through" by facemenu-unlisted-faces, are:

    default
    bold
    italic
    bold-italic
    underline
    isearch
    lazy-highlight
    file-name-shadow
    query-replace
    match
    buffer-menu-buffer
    tooltip
    button
    help-argument-name

    I don't know what faces ought not to be there.

The ones that are for specific software uses should not be in the
list.  They are isearch, lazy-highlight, file-name-shadow,
query-replace, match, buffer-menu-buffer, tooltip, help-argument-name.

Probably button should also be excluded.

    Assuming the facemenu is meant for users to select a face to put into
    whatever buffer they are editing (via Edit->Text Properties->Face), I
    would argue that the facemenu should be populated by an include list
    rather than an exclude list.  I suggest just the following:

Yes, I agree that would be better.  Nowadays, Emacs has a lot more
faces than in the past, and nearly all of them need to be excluded.

Would you like to do that?