Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 11:06:46 +0200

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup skrev:
>> Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

>>> You mean that navigation with arrow keys/Return/ESC should not be
>>> hardwired but done with a keybinding?
>>
>> Oh no, that would be a total mess, I guess.  No, just the F10 key
>> function should be a keybinding pointing to something like
>> "accelerate-menu".  Again, if it is already done like this, never
>> mind.
>
> The function I added is called menu-bar-start.  x-win.el does
> (and (fboundp 'menu-bar-start)
>      (global-set-key [f10] 'menu-bar-start))

Ok, so I remembered a lot of nonsense.  Don't ask me why.  Sorry for
the confusion.

> Should we name it accelerate-menu?  Does the XEmacs function take
> any parameters?

The XEmacs function does not take any parameters.  But I find its name
ugly: it is probably not something I would hit with an apropos search.
Also it does not fit our menu-bar name space.  For our function, I'd
find `menu-bar-open' a better name: one does not actually `start' a
menu bar.  `menu-bar-activate' would also be a possibility.

It might be worth adding an alias of `accelerate-menu': for those
coming from XEmacs, it will make it easier to transfer their .emacs
and they will also be more likely to find the functionality when using
apropos.

As the main function name, I find `accelerate-menu' too awkward.