uniquify-buffer-name-style

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: uniquify-buffer-name-style
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 22:01:23 -0500 (CDT)

Setting `uniquify-buffer-name-style' outside Custom currently only
takes effect after uniquify.el is loaded.  This misfeature is caused
by the use of defadvice in uniquify.el.  As getting rid of this advice
in uniquify.el requires non-trivial changes to the C code, I do not
believe that it would be advisable to do this at the present time.

In the patch below, I just document the misfeature and add a comment
about the desirability to get rid of it instead.  I can install if
desired.

===File ~/uniquify.el-diff==================================
*** uniquify.el 06 Feb 2006 16:02:02 -0600      1.61
--- uniquify.el 28 May 2006 21:09:47 -0500
***************
*** 93,99 ****
    "Unique buffer names dependent on file name."
    :group 'applications)

!
  (defcustom uniquify-buffer-name-style nil
    "*If non-nil, buffer names are uniquified with parts of directory name.
  The value determines the buffer name style and is one of `forward',
--- 93,100 ----
    "Unique buffer names dependent on file name."
    :group 'applications)

! ;; The last paragraph of the docstring below should really be made obsolete
! ;; by eliminating the dependence on advice.
  (defcustom uniquify-buffer-name-style nil
    "*If non-nil, buffer names are uniquified with parts of directory name.
  The value determines the buffer name style and is one of `forward',
***************
*** 104,110 ****
    reverse        name\\mumble\\bar  name\\mumble\\quux
    post-forward   name|bar/mumble  name|quux/mumble
    post-forward-angle-brackets   name<bar/mumble>  name<quux/mumble>
!   nil            name  name<2>"
    :type '(radio (const forward)
                (const reverse)
                (const post-forward)
--- 105,116 ----
    reverse        name\\mumble\\bar  name\\mumble\\quux
    post-forward   name|bar/mumble  name|quux/mumble
    post-forward-angle-brackets   name<bar/mumble>  name<quux/mumble>
!   nil            name  name<2>
!
! This variable only takes effect when uniquify.el is loaded.  If you set
! this variable in your .emacs, also specify `(require 'uniquify)'.
! Setting this variable through Custom automatically loads uniquify.el if it
! is not already loaded."
    :type '(radio (const forward)
                (const reverse)
                (const post-forward)