Re: Tumme menu in Dired, what to do about it?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tumme menu in Dired, what to do about it?
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:59:29 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > > Delete is certainly not more appropriate with more physical
>  > > entities.  When I move house, the removal men take my furniture, not
>  > > the "deletion men".
>  >
>  > That is because the physical entity remains and does not get
>  > destroyed.  And tags don't get destroyed, you can put them right on
>  > afterwards.
>
> You've changed your reason.  Maybe I'm missing something and the tags are
> stored somewhere and brought back later, but I imagine they're deleted
> and then recreated, if necessary.
>
> David, I'm sure your German is infinitely better than mine, but I'm
> not going to take an English lesson from you.

Take it from Webster's if you prefer.

Main Entry: de·lete
Pronunciation: di-'lEt, dE-
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): de·let·ed; de·let·ing
Etymology: Latin deletus, past participle of delEre to wipe out, destroy
: to eliminate especially by blotting out, cutting out, or erasing

Main Entry: 1re·move
Pronunciation: ri-'müv
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): re·moved; re·mov·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French removoir, from Latin removEre, from
re- + movEre to move
transitive senses
1 a : to change the location, position, station, or residence of <remove
soldiers to the front> b : to transfer (a legal proceeding) from one court to
another
2 : to move by lifting, pushing aside, or taking away or off <remove your hat>
3 : to dismiss from office
4 : to get rid of : ELIMINATE <remove a tumor surgically>