gdb with many windows: kill associated buffers doesn't always work

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: gdb with many windows: kill associated buffers doesn't always work
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 21:29:50 +1200

Klaus Zeitler writes:
 > 1. emacs -Q&
 > 2. eval (setq gdb-many-windows t)
 > 3. M-x gdb
 >
 > Now when I finish my debug session, the associated buffers don't get killed
 > automatically.
 > When I restart gdb without killing those associated buffers, I see the same
 > behavior. But when I kill all associated buffers and then restart gdb, the
 > newly created associated buffers will be automatically killed when I finish
 > my gdb session.

I assume that by "when I finish my debug session" you mean something like
typing quit in the GUD buffer, so that the process is killed but not the GUD
buffer.  I'm not sure why you would want to type quit and not just kill
the GUD buffer to finish a debug session, but clearly its a legitimate
thing to do.  This problem can be avoided by reverting this change:

2006-03-26  Andreas Schwab  <address@hidden>

        * progmodes/gud.el (gdb): Only complain about multiple debugging
        when the gdb process is still running.

which wouldn't allow more than one GUD session (live process or not) with
"-annotate=3".

Andreas,

What are the benefits of this change?  I can see that you can keep the shell
history in a second GUD buffer but that seems of limited usefulness.  I can
see many problems if the user is allowed to start a new session without the
buffers of the first being killed first.