Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Semi-unhelpful error message given when trying to (provide 'CUA-mode)
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 22:07:44 +0200

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

>> > The menu bar is stupidly displayed, yes, but there's no way to
>> > activate its items.
>>
>> F10 activates them.
>
> Hmm.  Is there any reason why F10 under X Windows doesn't activate
> the visible toolbar so that I can move around with the cursor keys?
> Binding F10 to `tmm-menubar' is probably not that helpful...

Maybe to accessibility dependent people?  On the other hand, walking
toolkit menus should be pretty standard for accessibility tools.

In my opinion, it would make sense to offer this kind of drop-down
menu traversal both in text mode as well as in the toolkits.  I don't
see that tmm-menubar has advantages that make it worth making it the
default.

I'd vote to add this to todo.texi.  This is one part of CUA where the
cost of accommodating it does not appear to have a negative impact
elsewhere within Emacs.