Re: doc of defining minor modes

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: doc of defining minor modes
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 22:05:40 -0400

The reasons for this rule is simple predictability: all minor modes
are initially disabled until you explicitly enable them, unless it
would not have any effect to do otherwise.  No minor modes get enabled
by anything except explicit enabling, unless they are harmless.

    FWIW, I do not agree. It is sometimes useful to enable a minor mode upon
    load,

I am not sure what that means.  If you present a specific scenario
I could think about it.

    Third, I don't see why we are stating this guideline / recommendation /
    prescription.

To make sure all minor modes follow this rule,
and thus avoid surprising the user.

Please do not start an argument about this.
I do not want to spend any more time on the question.