Re: Fcall_process: wrong conversion

From: Herbert Euler
Subject: Re: Fcall_process: wrong conversion
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:40:19 +0800

From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
To: "Herbert Euler" <address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:26:54 +0900

>> > I.e. if the file is in japanese-shift-jis, but command argument is in
>> > chinese-gbk, encoding arguments will make sure all characters are in
>> > japanese-shift-jis, won't it?
>>
>> I don't understand what "if ..." part actually means.  Who
>> makes command argument in chinese-gbk?

> For example, I wrote a lisp command which uses `call-process' and
> contains characters in chinese-gbk as arguments.  I meant, when
> I apply this command to a japanese-shift-jis file, `call-process' will
> encode the chinese-gbk characters to japanese-shift-jis in background,
> won't it?

It's hard to understand what you mean.  What do you mean by
"apply this command to ... file"?  Does it mean that you
give the file name to call-process as INFILE argument?  But,
how does it result in "encode the chinese-gbk characters to
japanese-shift-jis"?  Emacs doesn't detect the encoding of
INFILE.  So how does Emacs know about `japanese-shift-jis'
first of all?

And first of all, CVS Emacs doesn't have chinese-gbk coding
system.  Are you talking about the behavior of
emacs-unicode-2?

Encodings here are just examples; I should use them as
encoding A and B.  And my opinion is wrong, I don't know
all the real behavior of `call-process', I thought arguments
will be encoded to the file encoding.

Regards,
Guanpeng Xu

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/