Re: Fcall_process: wrong conversion

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Fcall_process: wrong conversion
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 11:24:55 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, "Herbert Euler" <address@hidden> writes:

> What is encoding arguments for?

To give them to a program/process in an encoding the program
requests.

> For unifying character encodings?

I don't understand the meaning of "unifying character
encodings".

> I.e. if the file is in japanese-shift-jis, but command argument is in
> chinese-gbk, encoding arguments will make sure all characters are in
> japanese-shift-jis, won't it?

I don't understand what "if ..." part actually means.  Who
makes command argument in chinese-gbk?

> As you stated, there is no locale uses utf-16, so if utf-16 characters
> appear as command arguments, we can't expect most programs will have
> correct behaviors or at least the same behaviors as no utf-16
> characters appear as command arguments, even if the commands are
> invoked within, for instance, shell scripts.

> So perhaps we should only prevent encoding arguments for utf-16?

It seems to be a good workaround for the hexl-mode because
it won't break anything.  So, I installed a proper change
for that.

Though, it doesn't solve the generic problem of "how to
handle the case that the program requests different encoding
for arguments and file (or stdin)".  I think we should solve
it after the release.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden