Re: play-sound-file & esd

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: play-sound-file & esd
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:21:10 +0200

Andreas Schwab skrev:

Where do we stand on this?

It looks like you are running ALSA v1.0.11rc2, and it does NOT
work to have multiple opens.  ALSA experts, is that version supposed
to be new enough to support multiple opens?

AFAIK that version should be new enough.  But only the native ALSA
interface has access to the software mixer.  When using the legacy OSS
interface (eg. through /dev/dsp) you are still limited to a single open.

Aha, that is why it works for me. So then we should make Emacs use the ALSA API. This doesn't look too hard, but I guess it is something for after the release.

        Jan D.