Re: query-replace in isearch (was Re: should search ring contain duplica

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: query-replace in isearch (was Re: should search ring contain duplicates?)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:52:44 -0400

    The old code unconditionally adds a new element to the history list as:

    !     (set query-replace-from-history-variable
    !          (cons isearch-string
    !                (symbol-value query-replace-from-history-variable)))

    A new argument KEEP-ALL allows to do the same for the new code that uses
    `add-to-history':

    !     (add-to-history query-replace-from-history-variable isearch-string
nil t)

If I understand right, add-to-history unconditionally adds a new last
element.  Not so?

It also deletes older elements that match the new one.  Using
add-to-history will treat this new element just like other new
elements on the same history list.  That seems right to me.  Do you
think it is wrong in this case?