Re: Bug?: (file-name-extension "some.html~") gives "html"

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Bug?: (file-name-extension "some.html~") gives "html"
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:46:15 -0600

Andreas Schwab wrote:
Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:

BTW, why does file-name-extension accept an optional PERIOD argument
to include the extension delimiter in the result, but
file-name-sans-extension does not?

I don't think there is a need to cut off the extension while keeping the
period, whereas keeping the period together with the extension is quite
common.

I suppose that the utility of keeping the period with the extension is
to allow it to be appended to some other extension-less file name.  And
likewise the utility of keeping the period with the file name would be
to allow some extension to be appended to it.

Symmetry baby,

This is asymmetric in nature.

I guess it depends on your perspective.  I see the file name base and
extension as symmetric components on either side of the period.

--
Kevin