Re: memory consumption with pure-space-overflow

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: memory consumption with pure-space-overflow
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 23:44:55 +0300

> Maybe the place in `command-line-1' where I added `display-warning' is
> not the best choice or we can simplify displaying the pure space
> warning in some other way

Another way of displaying the pure space warning is using the %e specifier
in the mode line.  Currently, it shows the message "!MEM FULL! " in the
mode line when the variable Vmemory_full is non-nil.  It could display
a message "!PURE SPACE OVERFLOW! " in the mode line when the variable
pure_bytes_used_before_overflow is non-nil.

Regardless whether this is good idea or not, I want to turn attention
to the lack of documentation for some %-constructs in the mode line.
Below is a list of options currently documented in Info and docstring,
and really implemented options (thus spaces denote undocumented options):

In the node (info "(elisp)%-Constructs"): bc fFiIlmMnpPst  *+&[]-%
In the docstring of `mode-line-format':   bc fFiIlm npPs zZ*+&[]-%
Really implemented in `decode_mode_spec': bcefFiIlm npPstzZ*+&[]-%

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/