Re: Why should interactive search results raise errors?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Why should interactive search results raise errors?
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 21:58:00 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
It would in my opinion be more convenient if these functions just return nil
and showed a message when a search fails. Would it not be a good convention
for interactive search functions in Emacs?

I think the better answer is to create a new error class called `user-error'
which would be then added to debug-ignored-errors.  Then we can replace most
elements of debug-ignored-errors by changing the signalling code so as to
signal a `user-error' rather than an `error'.

But that's for post-22.

        Stefan
Yes, that is good.