Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:09:40 -0400

    A user would need to type at least one additional character after the
    leading "/" in order to get Tramp loaded. But this still will happen
    without typing <TAB> or so, just due to `expand-file-nameĊ½.

(expand-file-name "/") should NOT load tramp!

I just found that this problem was due to XEmacs compatibility code.
So I deleted that code.  I won't delete XEmacs compatibility code
merely because it is XEmacs compatibility code; but I won't let
a bug remain in Emacs for the sake of XEmacs.

I also noticed this:

    ; These values conform to `file-attributes' from XEmacs 21.2.
    ; Emacs and other tools not checked.
    (defconst tramp-file-mode-type-map

What exactly hasn't been checked here?