Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:30:56 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Look for "tramp-completion-*". It's not only host names, but also
>> methods and user names which need to be expanded. And what/how to
>> expand depends on the method. And there are syntax ambiguities
>> ("/ssh:" can be a method or a host name). And in the ftp case it must
>> be given to ange-ftp, IIRC.
>
> I didn't yet read the sources, so I might talk nonsense, but couldn't
> we have just host-name expansion outside Tramp, and if the expanded
> host name is accepted (e.g., if the user types `:'), load Tramp only
> _then_?  Similarly with methods like /ssh: etc.  Would that work?

Might be possible. But still enough code to extract, because "/ssh"
can mean either method, either user name, either host name. And there
are different expansion strategies for all these cases, which must be
tried one after the other.

What might make life more complex finding the "least code to be
extracted" is the XEmacs case. Another syntax is used there. Not
relevant for this mailing list, I know, but I'ld like to keep the code
together.

I will think about your proposal.

Best regards, Michael.