Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:09:51 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Can you please point me to the right function in Tramp's sources?  I'd
> like to understand why it is so hard to complete on host names.

Look for "tramp-completion-*". It's not only host names, but also
methods and user names which need to be expanded. And what/how to
expand depends on the method. And there are syntax ambiguities
("/ssh:" can be a method or a host name). And in the ftp case it must
be given to ange-ftp, IIRC.

It was a nightmare to implement, at least for me. If you find
something to simplify, I'ld really appreciate it.

Best regards, Michael.