Re: CVS issues

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: CVS issues
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:13:51 -0700

On Apr 28, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

How often does this problem occur?
Is it days apart?  Weeks?  Months?

Since the bug is not reproducible, I think the only way to fix it
is to add more instrumentation code.

To be honest, I'm not sure. I've had it happen at least three separate times, and typically it persists for a day or more, sporadically occurring, approximately half the time. But it hasn't happened in several weeks (though my CVS usage varies considerably). My strong suspicion is that this relates to a persistent behavior of the CVS host, timing out or otherwise generating some situation which CVS Emacs cannot cope with well, but it hasn't repeated enough to allow honing in on the problem. I've tried disconnecting the network to set cvs up to fail, but now all I get is the correct standard error message. Since people reading this list no doubt exercise cvs via Emacs far more than I do, the fact that many others haven't echoed the problem makes me think it might be incredibly rare, or pertain to my specific setup in some unknown way. I'll stay on the lookout for it.