Re: PURESIZE increased (again)

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: PURESIZE increased (again)
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 03:07:35 -0400

From: Ken Raeburn <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:24:55 -0400

The byte and object counts *should* be the same (uh, unless the
pathnames to the elc files are stored somewhere but el file pathnames
are not).

(Actually, I should've said the increases in the byte and object counts, when each .elc file is loaded.)

Even if this is true (which I don't think it is), how can a stored
name explain 20KB of difference?

It wouldn't, but if it does happen (and I don't think it does, either, but I don't recall for sure) it would be a reason for the numbers not to be *exactly* the same, so then a very small discrepancy wouldn't be a big problem. But like you say, I don't think it happens.

It might also be useful to check that the .elc files you two are
getting (you've both done "make bootstrap", right?) are actually
similar.

That's the point: how _could_ they be different?

Barring the obvious, like local hacks affecting the byte-code optimizer, or some local bug causing character encoding conversions to be applied to byte-code strings, I have no idea. But since I have no other good idea how the 20K difference came up loading a .elc file, I figure breaking the problem down might help. For example: First, confirm that some file foo.elc to be loaded is (functionally) the same, and that it consume different amounts of storage, on the two systems. Then split it apart (binary search, one S-expression at a time, whatever) and see if there's some particular kind of expression in the .elc file that consumes different amounts of storage on the two systems. If we know what it is, perhaps we can figure out why it's handled differently. But if the files are different, then the problem isn't differing storage consumed by (identical) loaded objects, and we go off in a very different direction....

If people want to expend that much effort on it, of course.

Ken