Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:18:24 -0400

>> I was talking about programmer work, and I've shown you the code for
>> font-lock-multiline: it's quite a bit shorter and more straightforward than
>> your hack using b-c-f and a-c-f: just match the multiline element, place
>> a font-lock-multiline property on it, and you're set.

> Do you even have to bother with placing font-lock-multiline properties
> manually?  In AUCTeX we simply set the font-lock-multiline variable to
> t and font-lock added the property automatically.

[ Now that I've actually looked at his code: ]
Actually, yes he does because the font-lock-multiline variable is only
applied to font-lock-keywords, whereas his multiline needs come from
font-lock-syntactic-keywords, and also because he doesn't actually use
font-lock-syntactic-keywords, he just puts there a single MATCHER which does
the work by hand.

        Stefan