Re: incomplete header-line with 3d boxes and prop fonts

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: incomplete header-line with 3d boxes and prop fonts
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:25:04 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> Try the following command:
>
>    src/emacs -Q --eval '(set-face-attribute (quote header-line) nil :family
> "helv")' ~/tmp/foo.ses
>
> If you don't have a foo.ses file, you'll get an empty spreadsheet.
> Now hit M-o a few times to add some columns.
>
> Now two things:
>
> 1 - as already reported, the right hand side of the 3d boxes in the
>     header-line are missing.
>
> 2 - the last few pixels of the header-line are missing.  Most likely you
>     will not have noticed it yet because it's ben correctly drawn earlier
>     and hasn't been overdrawn yet.  But try C-l to see what's really
>     going on: for each 3d box in the header line a few pixels are lost at
>     the right edge of the header-line.
>
> The same thing happens with the mode-line (except that 3d boxes in the
> mode-line are harder to come by, except for mouse-face highlights and those
> don't seem to suffer from that problem).

I installed a trivial fix for the missing right 3D border -- it seems
to only hit a boxed stretch glyph.

But the result (in ses-mode) isn't pleasing ... the cell contents gets
more and more misaligned with the header line.  I tracked this to a
problem with the calculation of the size of a :box'ed stretch glyph.

I'm not sure how the fix I've installed for this may break other code
using box'ed stretch glyphs.

The fix is to simply assume that the specified :width, :height or :align-to
includes the face box width/height (which seems to be TRT, as the code
using this shouldn't have to take special actions for boxed faces (which
are often used in header (and mode) lines.

Please report any problems -- if any, there  probably is a trivial
fix at the Lisp level !!