RE: add generic toggle, turn on, and turn off commands to Options menu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: add generic toggle, turn on, and turn off commands to Options menu
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:42:26 -0700

    I don't think it is desirable to create menu items for a lot more
    options unless we do it with something like tabs so as to make it
    easier to manage them all.

I wonder if you misunderstood what I wrote or I misunderstand what you
wrote. My proposal (for after the release) was to add a _generic_ toggle
menu item, usable for any binary option.

That would _reduce_ the number of toggle items needed in the menu. At the
limit, this would be the _only_ toggle menu item needed, but it can be
useful to include a few commonly used toggle commands as menu items in their
own right. (I would give the user control over which other toggle items to
include, as I mentioned.)

    Maybe we could have a tabs-based customization buffer
    that is modeled more closely after the configuration facilities
    of other programs.

That is something altogether different (orthogonal). A menu is for quick
toggling. Making the customization buffer tabs-based doesn't speak to the
same need, AFAICT.