Re: Still bugs in read-file-name completion on w32

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Still bugs in read-file-name completion on w32
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:33:20 +0100

Mathias Dahl wrote:
It does not affect me on Windows. These are the files matcing "test" in c:\:

test av mellanslag.txt             test.doc.PPT
test.html                          test.html~
test.jpg                           test.txt
test.txt~                          test.zip
test1.txt                          test2.txt
test_stor.mp3
I think you missed an important part of Lennart's mail. In his case only one file matched "test", and it did not match the regexp he used for completions.

I think this is by design. Completion is there to help the user choose a file, not to prevent them from choosing the wrong file. By default we ignore backup files and known binary suffixes, but if the only match for what the user has typed is a file that we would normally ignore, then we happily complete to that, because ultimately the user knows best.