Re: Possible redisplay performance enhancements (revisited)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Possible redisplay performance enhancements (revisited)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:28:03 +0100

On 21 Apr 2006, at 10:47, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:

But text drawing
with ATSUI on the Mac Carbon port is sensitive to these changes.  I
think ATSUI support is ready to be enabled by default once these
issues are solved.

I agree. We have this enabled in our distribution, which is used by a couple of thousand people (among them people working with various Asian fonts), and I haven't received any complaints.
Thanks for the excellent work.

Another problem, obviously across ports, remains. When many faces have been defined during the current session, creating new frames slows down to a full second or so. The problem can be recreated with packages such as color-theme, where you can flick through a lot of themes, which AFAIK irreversibly defines a number of faces. Having several hundred of them is not untypical.

A while ago I traced this down to the fact that all faces get copied when a frame is created.

I reported the issue here and you made some improvements to the Carbon port, but the general problems remains.

- D

Ref:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-08/msg00861.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2005-08/ msg00168.html