Re: use faces on the mode-line for compile.el

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: use faces on the mode-line for compile.el
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:27:06 -0700

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

  >  > If the mode-line for the compilation buffer would be a bit more
  >  > visible it would be easier to see if a compilation is still running
  >  > (which is handy if you have compilations that take a long time and
  >  > don't want to spend too much time checking if it's done).
  >  > Also if the compilation fails it's nice to be able to see it faster.
  >  >
  >  > A simple patch can accomplish the above. It uses
  >  > font-lock-warning-face which is designed to be highly visible.
  >  >
  >  > IMO this is a very nice feature to have, and simple to implement...
  >  >
  >  > Thoughts?

  > Font-lock-warning-face is normally used to report warnings or
  > errors, not normal progress like "run".

I used font-lock-warning-face in 2 contexts, in this one you have a
point, maybe another face can be used.

  > *Every* modeline already displays the keyword "Compiling" during
  > compilation.

Right, and it would be nice for it to be in a different color so that
it can be seen if you are not exactly in front of the computer. I have
had this patch in my tree for a while and it does make a difference.

  > It will only be seen if the compilation buffer is visible and this
  > is already heavily fontified.

It is, but if the errors are not in the visible portion of the buffer
all that fontification does not help. Using font-lock-warning-face in
the modeline in case of an error gives a strong signal that you need
to look at the what is going on.