Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:57:26 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 00:17:23 -0400
>
>     Btw, isn't it confusing that we have no less than 3 different commands
>     (find-grep-dired, grep-find, and grep-tree) to do the same job?
>
> I never use any of them.  How do they differ?

The first one displays a Dired buffer with all the matching files, the
other two display the normal Grep hits, but differ in how they accept
arguments: grep-find wants the full Find command line, while grep-tree
asks only for its variable parts and keeps the rest hidden from the
user.

I think at least grep-tree and grep-find could be a single command:
e.g., it would behave like grep-tree by default, but with a prefix
argument will show the full command (so that power users could tailor
it), like grep-find does.

It's also possible to make find-grep-dired a variant of the same
single command, if we want only one UI instead of 3.